Latest Statistics About Online Video Viewing in the United States
Posted on Aug 06, 2012
June 2012 may have marked the beginning of summer for many Americans, but it did not mark the beginning of a cool down in online video viewing. According to recent statistics, more than 180 million Americans watched a combined 33 billion online videos in June and 11 billion online video ads.
However, while the number of online video viewers dropped only slightly during June 2012, there was a more significant change in the videos that were watched. For example, the average length of videos increased by 0.3 minutes to an average of 6.8 minutes per video. The length of online video advertisements remained steady at about 0.4 minutes per ad. Online video ads accounted for about 25% of videos watched in June and for about 2% of the total number of minutes spent watching online videos.
The top 10 sites for online video viewers included:
1. Google sites, with 154,507,000 unique viewers
2. Yahoo sites, with 51,453,000 unique viewers
3. Facebook, with 49,003,000 unique viewers
4. VEVO, with 46, 202,000 unique viewers
5. Viacom Digital, with 38,921,000 unique viewers
6. Microsoft Sites, with 38,122,000 unique viewers
7. AOL, Inc., with 38, 117,000 unique viewers
8. Amazon sites, with 29,826,000 unique viewers
9. Turner Digital, with 23,425,000 unique viewers
10. Vimeo, with 21,425,000 unique viewers
Google, which includes YouTube, also dominated the number of videos and the number of video minutes watched by Americans during June 2012.
Our Fairfax online video producers and marketers will continue to watch these trends in the coming months.